Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why Brooke Shields?

Let's pretend it was my plan to have a one month gap between blogs and continue...

During fall break, I was able to catch up on television watching. I'm still not at the point I want to be, but I'm getting there.

These new ads by Volkswagen are more miss than hit.



VW is attempting to bolster their reputation for German engineering by claiming women are having children just so they can experience their new minivan. They mimic a PSA with Brooke Shields warning, "Have a baby for love, not for German engineering."

Obviously these spots are sarcastic, but unfortunately the joke doesn't work.

I don't find the ads clever or funny at all. It's actually sort of offensive to pregnant women; demeaning their childbirth for the hope of riding in a Volkswagen.

Even the beginning, with the old-fashion VW "talking" to Shields in a German accent, can be misinterpreted as degradation.

These fake PSAs shouldn't do the warning. They should be warned themselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a pretty big fan of Shields before this campaign; now I don’t know what to think. I still respect how she spoke out about post-partum depression, but then going on TV to mock women and motherhood? Just bizarre.

http://urbzen.com/2008/11/06/routan-bust/