Friday, September 5, 2008

Lexuses Give You Inner Peace

Wait. What's the plural of Lexus? Lexuses/Lexura/Lexi? Whatever.

Last year, Lexus released one of those commercials that doesn't reveal its product until the end of the ad.



At the start, there was an equestrian and I thought, "Okay, that was artsy." Next they had a speedboat in slow motion and a woman taking pictures of the lights caused by the wind and I'm like, "Maybe the next shot will have the product." Then they show a cliffdiver and a kayaker and I lose it. "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SELL ME!?!?!!"

They close with 'The Pursuit of Perfection' and a shot of an angel-like Lexus smoothly gliding alond the road.

Ohhhhhhh. I get it. The theme of movement. Everyone is in pursuing something. Very clever, Lexus.

The music in this ad was spot on. Composed by Mark Joggerst, it was so hauntingly good that people scurried to cover it on their pianos/keyboards/violins.

The cinematography in this commercial evoked such a calmness. It appealed to a sense of hope that is mostly overlooked in TV ads. It made me feel that if I bought a Lexus, I would have the courage to dive off that mountain or row a canoe to the most peaceful, scenic river.

After watching this commercial, I could see 'driving a Lexus' as a new form of meditation.

No comments: