Saturday, September 20, 2008

That's Enough, Google Ads

So, I know this is a blog about television commercials, but I saw something today that I needed to blog about...and it's kind of advertising related. (and I haven't posted in a week eek!)

Let me start off with a soul-baring confession:


blink-182 is my favorite band ever.


Okay, I know they're not the most musical of bands and their lyrics aren't the most meaningful, but they will always have a special place in my heart. They were the band that got me into music. I can recite the lyrics to every blink song ever written. I had this friend in middle school that shared my obsession with them and we would download live bootlegs of their shows and stuff like that.

This morning, I woke up and saw a text message from that friend. It read, "Did you hear travis barker died in a plane crash???" (ignore the miscapitalization)

I read that and my heart stopped.

Travis was the drummer for blink-182. He is a fantastic drummer. He is probably one of my music heroes.

I used the past tense for the first sentence because blink broke up three years ago. I used the present tense for the last two because he didn't actually die.

He was badly burned from the waist down. His assistant, bodyguard, pilot and co-pilot did die though. RIP.

I tell you this because after I received the text, I checked online to see if my friend was right. Thankfully, he wasn't. I saw an article on CNN disproving him.

But I also saw an ad on the right side of the article that was grossly inappropriate.


(click for bigger)

Seriously Google Ads? Come on now. I know it's a story about a plane. But really, do you need to advertise freaking United Airlines on a jet crash story? That is so wrong.

That is like showing an ad for plastic surgery after Kanye West's mother died from her operation. Or showing a Nissan ad next to an article reporting when Morgan Freeman (my narration hero) flipped his Maxima into a ditch...

So Google, you need a little disgression with your clicking empire. Please change your advertising algorithm so this doesn't happen again.

No comments: