Monday, December 1, 2008

Haunting Shoe Dreams

The best dreams are ones that don't make sense. I don't really remember my dreams, but I think the more fantasical they are, the more fun they would be. The same is true for commercials.

This next commercial is from a while ago but it's one I remembered because of the direction of Spike Jonze and a sweet soundtrack from Karen O (of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and Squeak E. Clean.



This guy wakes up and his shoes come put themselves on. A spotlight reveals a door. What does the guy do? He runs with his new Adidas.

He runs down the street. He runs past trees. He runs away from bears and jumps at 45 degree angles.

There's probably some symbolism here, but to me the commercial's visuals are enough. The black area is saying, "What will you reveal? Anything is possible (with these Adidas)." Or should I say "Impossible is nothing."

It was very Ann Ryndish with the guy being illuminated in a sea of black and running in a tunnel. At first he is afraid when he wakes up, but after running he finds courage.

The music fit perfectly with the concept also. Right as Karen O sings "Whenever I wake up..." guess what happens. The mood also seemed to speed up with the tempo of the song. Overall this commercial was executed brilliantly.

No comments: