Monday, December 15, 2008

Nike's Lifelong Journey

I like commercials that tell stories. This next fantastic one by Nike tells the story of how two NFL players, LaDainian Tomlinson and Troy Polamalu, got to where they're at today.



This is really a brilliant spot. The vision had a really good concept. It showed their lives from conception to the game where they ultimately collide. This was definitely one of the year's best.

I especially like one scene. The one where young Polamalu jumps on the coffee table and it breaks is one that sticks out to me. I remember being that age, jumping around the living room. I would try to make it across the whole room without touching the carpet. I never broke a coffee table with my weight, but then again, I'm no NFL defensive safety.

The music is appropriate. Most athletic commercials have some sort of inspiring, dramatic music making the game more important than it really is. This song is a sample of The Ecstacy of Gold from the soundtrack of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

The commercial has a good feeling of suspense and culmination. We are shown these toddlers not knowing exactly what to think, but it all comes to fruition when we see the hit.

No comments: